One hundred and eighty five acres of natural habitat for birds, wildlife, and humans alike! Our land is at the heart of everything we do. It’s allowed us to establish a 40-year reputation of excellence in environmental education for people of all ages.
As you can imagine, 185-acres of natural habitat requires ongoing restoration and preservation to be:
- Ecologically sound
- Accessible to our visitors and students
- Our focal point for teaching natural science education
This ecological restoration includes:
- Creating habitat which supports native biodiversity
- Maintaining hiking trails
- Monitoring of landforms and ecosystems for potential threats
- Controlling invasive plant species
- Engaging volunteers and interns in this program
We often hear from our visitors, students, and donors “your process sounds time intensive and expensive”. In fact, it is a never-ending process and restoration comes at a cost of roughly $5,000-$10,000 per acre or more plus the cost of annual maintenance that follows.