Our volunteers provide essential support for our day-to-day operations and special events. They are a vital part of our warm atmosphere and “can-do” work ethic. Whatever your particular interest or talent, you’ll find many opportunities here at the Center. We welcome individuals, as well as corporate volunteer groups of all sizes.
- Special Events: Assist with the many special events offered throughout the year, including Winter Carnival in January, our spring event in April, the Gala in June, our summer event in July, Fall Festival in October, and Xtreme Raptor Day in November. For ages 13+
- Front Desk: Interact with visitors, use the computer cash register, take in admissions and answer the phone for half day shifts. Once-a-month shifts on weekends needed most. Weekdays are twice a month. For ages 17+
- Admissions Booth: Greet visitors, take in cash admissions (no computer), and give information about the happenings of the center that day. Once a month half day shifts on weekends. For ages 15+
- Preschool: Serve as an aide for teachers in the classroom and on the trails during your once-a-week shift from September to May. For college age and older.
- Raptors: Help care for, feed, and train our birds of prey. Show them at area events and schools. For adults.
- Land stewards: Work alongside our staff to preserve and restore our 185 acre outdoor classroom. Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday mornings for this drop-in program. For high school and older.
- Ray Team: If you had a hammer… you’d tackle all sorts of woodworking and construction projects for the center at our fully equipped workshop. Meets Tuesdays. Bring your lunch/jokes. Hammer can stay home. For ages 16+
We are seeking committed, responsible volunteers who are passionate about our mission. As a thank you for your commitment, volunteers enjoy these many benefits:
- 20% discount in our Nature Store
- Annual volunteer recognition dinner
- Member rates for programs and classes
- Opportunity to count volunteer hours for clubs or schools
Interested in becoming a volunteer?
We have a variety of opportunities for adults and students aged 12 and up. To learn more about ongoing opportunities or to apply to become a volunteer, select from the following:
For corporate volunteer groups interested in working with us, contact Debby Fulton at email@example.com or 414-352-2880 x152.
Do you have a good idea for a project? Contact us – we’d love to hear about it!
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Please contact Debby Fulton (414-352-2880 x152), for additional information regarding these volunteer positions:
- Land Stewardship:
Enjoy our beautiful outdoor sanctuary by helping the land stewards weed, plant, and remove invasive species all year long. Volunteers are welcome on Monday, Wednesday or Friday mornings from 9am to 12 noon and Saturdays from 9:30am to 12 noon. This is a drop-in program, so come when you are free. Dress for the Lake Michigan area weather, wearing pants, hiking boots or tennis shoes, and layers. Bring a reusable water bottle, hat, and garden gloves if you wish. Be sure to eat breakfast before you come! High school age and above.
- Winter Carnival:
Sunday January 25 from 12-4pm. Bundle up for outside frosty fun! Help the staff with sleigh rides, snow games and activities, or join the inside crew with crafts and other cozy projects. For ages 15+
- Summer Camp Assistant:
Packets will be sent in mid February for this highly popular volunteer program for students aged 12 and over. Get on the mail list now, so you are among the first to get the camp information. If you helped last year, you are already on it.