Our volunteers provide essential support for our day-to-day operations and special events. They are a vital part of our warm atmosphere and “can-do” work ethic. Whatever your particular interest or talent, you’ll find many opportunities here at the Center. We welcome individuals, as well as school and corporate volunteer groups of all sizes.
With Emerald Ash Borer being found at the Center, our most immediate need for volunteers is with the Schlitz Audubon Conservation Team. Volunteer land stewards work to preserve and restore our 185-acre outdoor classroom. Drop-in times take place Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings from 9am-noon; and Saturday mornings from 9:30am-noon. We’re actively looking to schedule corporate groups, organizations, and school groups throughout the week. For high school and older.
- Summer Camp: Volunteers commit to weekly day-camps and help educators create a fun, safe environment for campers. There are openings to work with a variety of age groups from June to August. This opportunity is ideal for volunteers who have had summer camp or education experience but is open to anyone with enthusiasm. For ages 12+
- Special Events: Assist with the many special events offered throughout the year, including Winter Carnival in January, Spring Serenade in May, the Gala in June, our summer event in July, Fall Festival in October, and Xtreme Raptor Day in November. For ages 12+
- Front Desk: Interact with visitors, use the computer cash register, take in admissions, and answer the phone for half day shifts. Once-a-month shifts on weekends needed most. Weekdays are twice a month. For ages 18+
- Admissions Booth: Greet visitors, take in cash admissions (no computer), and offer information about the events taking place at the Center that day. Once-a-month half-day shifts on weekends. During summer months, week-long shifts in the morning, afternoon, or evening. For ages 15+
- Preschool: Serve as an aide for teachers in the classroom and on the trails during your once-a-week shift from September to May. For college-age and older.
- Raptors: Help care for, feed, and work with raptor staff in training our birds of prey. Volunteers help with presentations and programs for schools and the public. Once a week shifts, a minimum 1-year commitment. 18+ We currently do not have volunteer shifts available in the Raptor Program. All interested volunteers will be placed on a waitlist and are welcome to participate in our other volunteer opportunities. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- Conservation Team: Work alongside our staff as a volunteer land steward to preserve and restore our 185 acre outdoor classroom. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday mornings for this drop-in program. For high school and older.
- Ray Team: If you had a hammer…you’d tackle all sorts of woodworking and construction projects for the center at our fully equipped workshop. Meets Tuesdays and Thursdays. Bring your lunch/jokes. Hammer can stay home. For ages 14+
We are seeking committed, responsible volunteers who are passionate about our mission. As a thank you for your commitment, volunteers enjoy these many benefits:
- 20% discount in our Nature Store
- Annual volunteer recognition dinner
- Member rates for programs and classes
- Opportunity to count volunteer hours for clubs or schools
Interested in becoming a volunteer? To learn more about ongoing opportunities, please email Stevie Otap or call 414-352-2880 x144. We ask that potential volunteers fill out a volunteer application. Click here for the Adult Volunteer Application. Click here for the Youth Volunteer Application. Both open as a fillable .pdf.