“I can hear those turtles – they are snoring in the mud!”
– Child at the pond in early spring
All but one of our 2015/2016 preschool classes are filled! We still have openings for children who are 4 (by September 1, 2015) and 5 years old in an afternoon K4 class that meets Monday – Thursday from 12:45pm – 3:30pm. Register today to secure your place for fall!
Children instinctively find nature fascinating and our Preschool offers a wonderful opportunity to meet preschoolers’ developmental needs while inspiring them to love nature. Our Preschool provides a warm, nurturing learning atmosphere that offers diverse natural habitats, exceptional educators, and unique, hands-on learning programs that build a solid foundation for future school experiences.
Schlitz Audubon’s Preschool is a nature-focused preschool that:
- Offers discovery-based learning and a hands-on approach to education
- Serves 3-5 year old children with 2-day, 3-day, or 4-day morning and afternoon class options
- Is in session from September through May
- Has a staff of highly-educated and motivated teachers who offer years of combined early childhood and environmental education teaching experience
- Inspires children to love nature and understand how the world around them works.
- Emphasizes learning by being outdoors with daily outdoor discovery of the Center’s 185-acres of diverse habitat.
Our mission is to provide a high-quality early childhood environment that meets preschoolers’ developmental needs while inspiring them to love nature.
Research has shown how important the preschool years are for developing the brains of young children. Our goal is to develop a child’s ability to work independently and cooperatively, and to act in a caring and responsible way towards the environment, themselves, and others.
Our curriculum integrates all the domains of child development within the framework of our natural environment. These include:
- Environmental awareness
- Social/Emotional development
- Cognitive development – natural science exploration and mathematical thinking
- Health and physical development
- Approaches to learning – curiosity, risk-taking, and problem-solving experiences
- Communication language experiences, including Spanish
- Spiritual development – sense of awe, wonder and peace
- Aesthetic development – art, music, & dramatic play experiences
Resources & Programs
Stay up-to-date on all the preschool news and happenings! Click here to visit our Resources & Programs page.
Information for Educators
We feel it is important to share with other educators what we have learned. For that reason, we host conferences, teacher training sessions, and visiting educators. Click here to visit our Information for Educators page.